8/12/07

Enough

When is it appropriate to tell someone they are being inappropriate when they, in fact, feel they are sharing? Is there etiquette you should follow when listening to a story that you are both uncomfortable with and don't want to continue to hear, yet find yourself fearful that interrupting might shatter what you are quickly learning is a fragile psyche?

I found myself in this situation and poorly chose to make a joke about how uncomfortable I was learning private info from someone I didn't exactly consider a confidante. I used humor as my blanket on the fire. What followed?

Five second pause

They got up and left

4 comments:

Stanley said...

Yeah, but did you guys make out or what?

DETAILS!!!

Ryan said...

Seriously, though: details are crucial here.

LC said...

Are you talking about that time I asked if you knew what herpes vs. razor burn looks like and then gave you a full on description of my female issues?

MB said...

Oh, how exciting. So many thoughts. (my hands are together and my fingerstips are dancing back and forth)

The details involved something that happened to her when she was in 6th grade with her friends older brother. Yeah, that kind of uncomfortable.

I thought we might have a make-out session, but once that story got dropped and the manner in which she dropped it (picture her throwing a binder at me) I was quickly looking for an exit.

And no LC, it wasn't THAT time

ps. I got a job... Hyland Software

Mr. Feeble

Mr. Feeble
Tasty